The Perks of Downsizing

We just mailed in the application for our new apartment, and we're T-minus-7-weeks to the Big Move. And it will be a Big Move.

When we moved into this house, I didn't even have to pack, since most of my stuff had been in storage for a year while I squatted at my aunt and uncle's house. Back then, P was still a bachelor who owned very little more than a couch, a bed, and about five million law books. And all our wedding gifts were still in boxes.

Now we have at least three times as much stuff as either of us started with, an amount that seems to grow every day (note to self: if you're only going to be in a place for a few years, get something small - that way you don't feel the need to buy more stuff to fill it up, stuff that'll only give you back trouble the next time you move). So I've spent a lot of time lately trying to plan out how we're going to make this work - minus our crowds of college/single friends who've helped in the past, minus our parents (if we can help it), and minus two whole rooms' worth of stuff (the new place is significantly smaller).

Yes, I know. Seven weeks is plenty of time to work all that out. But see, I've got all this homework to do before then, and if I don't waste time daydreaming about packing, then how else will I put things off till the last minute?

Incidentally, I made an effort to forego the time-wasting and do something productive this morning; but as I scrubbed the miles of nice hardwood floors and vacuumed endless yards of carpet, I just couldn't help but think, I can't wait to be in a smaller space! And then I daydreamed about cleaning our new apartment...

Comments

  1. Where are you moving? Downsizing is a great thing, but it's hard to decide what to part with and what to take with you. Jason and I experienced that when we moved to Memphis. Of course, we've definitely filled up our new place with more stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fort Worth. I think that if I just go over to my mom's house and watch a marathon of Clean Sweep right before we start the actual moving, then I'll be in good shape... :) We'll see!

    Cute picture! Didn't know you had a blog - I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!