Tumbling for the Aged and Very Young
Last night, I decided it was high time my son learned to do a somersault. Upon this suggestion of mine, followed by a meaningful look at my husband, P chuckled disbelieving and then, under my continued expectant gaze, exclaimed, "I would, but I've got this baby..." [indicating the 4-month-old on his knee]. Thus I announced, in the age-old words of Mother Hen, "Fine. I'll do it - MYSELF!" And we all paraded back to the office, which is the only carpeted room in our house. (Also, it seems, the smallest room, as was soon to be discovered.)
In retrospect, I must admit that this sort of instruction is best left to those who have, say, actually completed a somersault (or even touched their toes) in the recent past. Like, in the last decade. Or even two. I must also confess that our tiny office leaves much to be desired as a gymnast's arena; neither the furniture nor my poor shins and back were left unscathed after the evening's exercise.
Nonetheless, it was kind of fun! And I think we can all agree that it went over well with the 2-year-old. [See images below.]
We decided we were all better at rolling!
Luke rolls onto Mommy...
... and Mommy rolls onto Luke! So fun!
I'm careful not to leave my other child out...
But Luke is all joy!
In retrospect, I must admit that this sort of instruction is best left to those who have, say, actually completed a somersault (or even touched their toes) in the recent past. Like, in the last decade. Or even two. I must also confess that our tiny office leaves much to be desired as a gymnast's arena; neither the furniture nor my poor shins and back were left unscathed after the evening's exercise.
Nonetheless, it was kind of fun! And I think we can all agree that it went over well with the 2-year-old. [See images below.]
( Luke liked the "getting set" part but chickened out on the actual somersault.)
Now it's Luke's turn... with a little help from Mom:
We decided we were all better at rolling!
Luke rolls onto Mommy...
... and Mommy rolls onto Luke! So fun!
I'm careful not to leave my other child out...
She doesn't look as happy to be there as we'd hoped...
But Luke is all joy!
And proceeds to run circles around Mommy and Sarah until bedtime.
Sure is a lot of energy for someone who subsists on cheese and crackers and milk.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!