My KidS
So needless to say, we've had a big month. And since it goes so fast, I feel like those precious moments and memories will soon have slipped right out of my leaky brain, and while I'm resigned to losing most of the moments, I'd like to save a few. Wrap them in tissue paper, so to speak.
One thing I want to remember is that Luke still amuses us with all his catchphrases. He learns these new ways of saying things, and then that's all we hear for weeks... It's a teensy bit annoying now, but like I said, I'd hate to forget it. I mean, what else would I talk about for his wedding rehearsal dinner toast?
Right now, the number one thing we hear in our house is "What's that?" Only it's more like "Wts ZTHAT?" He asks us this all. the. time. Even when it doesn't really make sense in the situation - and especially when he's hoping to change the subject:
Me: "Luke, sit down on your bottom."
Luke (pointing to nothing): "What's THAT?"
Me: "What's what?"
Luke (still standing on chair): "What's that, Mommy? What's THAT?"
Me: "What's what?" .... "Luke, SIT DOWN."
A close second in frequency is the phrase, "Watch Kipper?" To explain, Kipper is one of the few cartoons I let Luke watch these days. It's this super benign little British cartoon that seems a better speed for a 2-year-old than lots of other stuff. And it streams on Netflix, so no commercials, and we can watch it anytime. And Luke loves it. There's nothing cuter than watching him sit there on the couch and crack up at the silly antics of Kipper the Dog and his friends.
On the other hand, every time I hear "Watch Kipper?" (always in the softest, most innocent voice, usually with a flutter of blue eyes and sweet smile), I think it's time for us to get a new show. Or maybe to stop watching TV altogether? A few weeks ago, Luke spent about five minutes begging, "Mommy sit on the cowwwch?" When I finally acquiesced (thinking he just wanted to spend time close to me, how nice...), the first thing he said was "Watch Kipper?"
Another thing he says a lot these days, much to his father's dismay, is "yeah." We actually have to tell him to say "yes" or maybe even "yes, ma'am." No one told me that one-year-olds turn into apathetic teenagers on their second birthday.
More than all the catchphrases, though, I'd hate to forget the funny/sweet way that Luke imitates us (or maybe just me) when he talks to Sarah. He always puts on a big fakey smile for her and then talks in this high, soothing, almost matronly voice, "Hiii, Saaaaawah!" Of course, that's usually followed by a head-bonk or some similarly rough action...
As for "Sawah," she's a month old. So she doesn't do much, yet. She's usually pretty laid back, willing to wait on us as we care for her high-maintenance brother. But occasionally she just decides she's not going to take it anymore! And then, wow, that girl's got lungs! Actually that - and the dark hair - were the first things I noticed about her when she was born: first, who is this dark-haired child? and then, how is one baby making so much racket?
When she's not screaming mad (and she isn't, most of the time), she's pretty quiet. The first few weeks I'd have to keep checking on her to make sure she was breathing - it's been a long time since I've been around a completely noiseless child! Now she's starting to have "talky" moments, little goos and gaas - and sometimes these funny, high-pitched sighs as well. Oh, and the hiccups. All. The. Time. Even since before she was born, this kid gets the hiccups daily, at least. Mercy.
Although she doesn't say much yet, she certainly doesn't lack for facial expressions - especially in her sleepy moments. From grins to furrowed brows to quivering bottom lips, we've seen it all. But only when she's asleep - in her waking moments, Sarah is nothing but serious studiousness. Sometimes I think her eyes are "smiling" at me, but I guess we shouldn't expect real (i.e. conscious) smiles for another several weeks...
When Luke is interacting with her - which means he's sitting as close to her as possible without being on top of her (usually) and putting his head really close to hers and then poking her with increasing force and then kissing her on the head (or eyeball) as apology for the intense poking - she usually just lays there and studies him with a serious, you-can't-hurt-me expression on her face. (I wish she were right...) But even now, even when her eyes stay open for such a small portion of her days, I can tell that she is fascinated by her big brother in a singular way. They will be great friends. Someday.


It won't be long till there best friends. Ruby ADORES Stephen and he feels the same way about her. And now he follows her all around the house.
ReplyDelete