Singing Bush, Jr.
![]() |
| The Original Singing Bush (in the Sonshine School t-shirt) |
I guess this is one of those developmental things that you start to believe may never happen until it does: although Luke had occasionally "talked" along with us at times when we sang together, he hadn't done much actual singing. But a few weeks before Christmas, I began to notice a sweet, soft voice - slurring slightly from the pacifier - joining in sporadically as we sang "Jesus Loves Me" at bedtime and naptime. When Christmas carols took over as the constant background music in our household, Luke figured out that he could really get into the "Gloooooooooooooooo-ria!" part of "Angels We Have Heard on High," and he wasn't too shabby at "Fa la la la la-ing" either.
And so, over the past month, Luke has become quite the musical genius, if I do say so myself. He now sings along for most of "Jesus Loves Me" (it still sounds like he's pretending to know the words; his lyrics are primarily just the ending word sounds, with an occasional strong "Jesus" or "Bible" or "me" - but hey, that's good enough for this admiring parent). And not only that - he will also join in for other regulars on our bedtime song list, including "Amazing Grace" (if you've never heard a toddler sing the word "wretch," you're really missing out) and "I Am a Sheep."
But I must confess that his favorite song is no Gospel spiritual. It's not even a highly educational song, like the ABC's. No, my child's favorite song in the whole world is none other than "Going to the Zoo
But that isn't even the best part of this little story. The best part is that Luke prefers his own remix of the Zoo song - with a few other favorites thrown in: "Going to the Zoo Zoo Zoo, How about You You You - Lion, ROAR - Hip-Hip-Hip-Hip-Hippotomus - Gloooooooooooooo - RIA!"
Now tell me that's not worth the price of admission.
![]() |
| "We are going to the Zoo (Zoo Zoo)!" |
![]() |
| Singing Bush, Jr. |



Just discovered your blog. Love it! Your life sounds much more faculous than mine...
ReplyDeleteTricia Parker
Thanks, Tricia!
ReplyDelete[I must confess, I looked up the word "faculous" because I thought maybe it was some cool new word that you knew and that I should immediately add to my vocabulary... but I'm guessing it's a typo, and that you don't mean that my life has lots of sunspots... Or maybe you do mean that?? :) ha ha]
Now THAT was a hilarious interchange! I laughed so hard, I coughed up my right lung!
ReplyDelete