Mother's Day Out
I did manage to get a picture of Luke with his eyes open as well, but the expression he has in this one is just perfect for a "first day of school" photo, don't you think? I took this two weeks ago today, just before I dropped him off for his first day of Mother's Day Out. He had no trouble adjusting to this new addition to his schedule, social butterfly (moth? is there a more gender neutral idiom?) that he is. And I... well, I had no trouble at all adjusting to my newfound free time as well...
Okay, okay, so I might have almost cried a little when I drove away that first day. And so I've been early to pick him up each time since. But still, 90% of the time he's at school, I'm in heaven. And here are a few reasons why:
Okay, okay, so I might have almost cried a little when I drove away that first day. And so I've been early to pick him up each time since. But still, 90% of the time he's at school, I'm in heaven. And here are a few reasons why:
- Sitting at the breakfast/coffee joint of my choice for a full 40 minutes, sipping decaf Joe and reading a novel, while I wait for Ladies' Class to begin.
- Going to Ladies' Class without a diaper bag, several snacks, and a toddler in tow.
- Leaving Ladies' Class without a diaper bag, several half-eaten snacks, and a toddler in tow.
- Eating lunch on my own. Without the need to constantly encourage said toddler to eat another bite, to not throw food on the floor, to let me wipe his face...
- Reading. (Or napping.)
- Writing to my blog.
- Spending a full 8 minutes in the bread aisle at the grocery store as I try to decide which loaf I'm really in the mood to buy today.
- Remembering what adult life feels like.
- And realizing that I love the mom life, too, even if it sometimes means I miss out on some of the above.
Oops - it's five past two. Better leave the house now if I'm going to make it 15 minutes early for Luke's pick-up!

Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!