A New and Glorious Morn
Micah 5:2, 4-5
“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans of Judah,
out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
from ancient times.”
....
He will stand and shepherd his flock
in the strength of the LORD,
in the majesty of the name of the LORD his God.
And they will live securely, for then his greatness
will reach to the ends of the earth.
And he will be our peace....
Revelation 21:2-5
I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!”
I realize that these passages don't exactly go together in the traditional sense, but they've been important to me over the past several days, and I just wanted to "proclaim" them today.
If you care to try to understand my line of reasoning, here it is. The miraculous joy that always invades our lives during this time of year (from a variety of sources, both serious and superficial) is never unaccompanied by some amount of deep sorrow - whether of a personal nature (such as that of loved ones missing from the Christmas dinner table) or of a more humanitarian bent (how many families will spend this holiday in deepest need?). In addition to those sorrows, I can't help but see images of that precious Christ-child (you know, the one that "no crying he makes") without also seeing the shadow of His cross. A bittersweet time it is, this Christmas season.
But in these verses, I find deep comfort. I know that Peace has come to this earth, and that, in just a little while, we will know Him face to face. The sorrowful side of things will pass away, and only joy will remain.
O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining,
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans of Judah,
out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
from ancient times.”
....
He will stand and shepherd his flock
in the strength of the LORD,
in the majesty of the name of the LORD his God.
And they will live securely, for then his greatness
will reach to the ends of the earth.
And he will be our peace....
Revelation 21:2-5
I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!”
I realize that these passages don't exactly go together in the traditional sense, but they've been important to me over the past several days, and I just wanted to "proclaim" them today.
If you care to try to understand my line of reasoning, here it is. The miraculous joy that always invades our lives during this time of year (from a variety of sources, both serious and superficial) is never unaccompanied by some amount of deep sorrow - whether of a personal nature (such as that of loved ones missing from the Christmas dinner table) or of a more humanitarian bent (how many families will spend this holiday in deepest need?). In addition to those sorrows, I can't help but see images of that precious Christ-child (you know, the one that "no crying he makes") without also seeing the shadow of His cross. A bittersweet time it is, this Christmas season.
But in these verses, I find deep comfort. I know that Peace has come to this earth, and that, in just a little while, we will know Him face to face. The sorrowful side of things will pass away, and only joy will remain.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!