Aprons

Our speaker at Ladies' Bible Class this morning shared that she collects handwork - embroidered or crocheted pillowcases, handkerchiefs, aprons, and other linens - because she loves knowing that someone spent such time to create an item of beauty (or function). And as she brought out a selection from her apron collection, she noted that items like these often represent a wealth of memories and meaning.

And while I certainly don't use an apron on a regular basis (cooking, cleaning, collecting eggs or garden vegetables - not exactly daily fare for me), I strap one on for those occasions when I plan to use flour. You know, flour is just messy. And it just so happened that I had one of those occasions last night as I prepared a pound cake for the Ladies' Class luncheon.

While I mixed and measured, I let Luke play with my enormous collection of measuring cups and spoons. Before long, however, he realized that I had an apron on and he did not, and he would not rest (or let me continue cooking) until I pulled out "his" apron, which he used a few weeks ago when he "helped" me make some Christmas cookies. With that issue resolved, he went on to play happily. A while later, as Luke ran around the house throwing his football, I realized the apron had slipped down to his waist (tripping level for a little guy), so I tried to take it off of him, but he Would Not let me take it off, fussing until I'd fixed it back Properly. And then he promptly went back to football, wearing that apron as proudly as a jersey...

I love that kid. And our speaker was right on the mark. Luke's apron is one that came to me with memories preloaded: it was one my great-grandmother had made out of scraps that my aunt had given her, and that aunt gave it to me as a wedding gift. Now Luke has made his mark on its history, and I doubt he'll be the only one to do so in the future.

Comments