Christmas Cards
P and I were beginning to be somewhat perplexed about Christmas cards this year. It's not as if we were in any way speedy at getting our cards out or anything, but here it was, halfway through the month, and the number of cards we'd received from politicians and insurance brokers still far outnumbered those from actual friends and loved ones...
But that all changed when we got home last night, warmly greeted by a mailbox absolutely overflowing in holiday greetings. It was really a sight to behold, so many cards at once! It's as if the Post Office conspired to keep them all together for us or something... Anyway, after we'd settled into bed (in kerchief and cap), P and I took turns reading through the cards and letter, enjoying the news and good wishes from near and far (and admiring the beauty and photo-geniality of so many of our loved ones' children - I mean, really, we know some of the cutest kids!).
It got me thinking about the fact that nowadays, even Christmas cards are slowly becoming yet another Tradition of the Past. I mean, I know it's not quite on the endangered species list, but it may just be a matter of time - given the current price of stamps compared to the pervasive use of digital communication over written [see my study on the subject in next month's issue of Technical-Sounding Jargon from High-Falutin' Hayseeds]. Anyway, every time I think about sending our own, I wonder if I'm crazy to still do such a thing. But when I sit and enjoy an evening's worth of salutations from so many dear people, that question quickly fades, and I'm thankful to have participated in my own small way in such a truly grand tradition.
ps - If you are one of those, who - for any number of completely valid and totally justifiable reasons - has elected not to do Christmas cards, please do not take this as any kind of personal indictment - it certainly isn't meant for that purpose! But if you need my address, just give me a call.... (ha ha)
But that all changed when we got home last night, warmly greeted by a mailbox absolutely overflowing in holiday greetings. It was really a sight to behold, so many cards at once! It's as if the Post Office conspired to keep them all together for us or something... Anyway, after we'd settled into bed (in kerchief and cap), P and I took turns reading through the cards and letter, enjoying the news and good wishes from near and far (and admiring the beauty and photo-geniality of so many of our loved ones' children - I mean, really, we know some of the cutest kids!).
It got me thinking about the fact that nowadays, even Christmas cards are slowly becoming yet another Tradition of the Past. I mean, I know it's not quite on the endangered species list, but it may just be a matter of time - given the current price of stamps compared to the pervasive use of digital communication over written [see my study on the subject in next month's issue of Technical-Sounding Jargon from High-Falutin' Hayseeds]. Anyway, every time I think about sending our own, I wonder if I'm crazy to still do such a thing. But when I sit and enjoy an evening's worth of salutations from so many dear people, that question quickly fades, and I'm thankful to have participated in my own small way in such a truly grand tradition.
ps - If you are one of those, who - for any number of completely valid and totally justifiable reasons - has elected not to do Christmas cards, please do not take this as any kind of personal indictment - it certainly isn't meant for that purpose! But if you need my address, just give me a call.... (ha ha)
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!