Good morning!
I was going to take the kids to the gym this morning, but I decided giving attention to the blog was much more important. Don't you agree? (Now, for all of those who said "yes," feel free to contribute to my new-wardrobe-in-a-size-larger fund...)
So this morning was really lovely. We've had a crazy week, recovering from being out of town, returning to normal schedules, and a [failed] attempt to potty-train a "self-directed" little girl. So this morning, when the kids slept in and I didn't, when I woke up early enough to give P a proper kiss goodbye (you know, standing up and fully awake with teeth freshly brushed), after going to sleep by 10:30 the night before and being awakened only once by a boy who just needed permission to sleep with the lights on, after waking up in a bed with 2 adults and 0 children, when I had time to eat breakfast and have two cups of coffee and do three days of belated Bible study before the first child came downstairs, well, this morning was really lovely.
When a sleepy-eyed but happy Luke finally joined me at the breakfast table, I poured him a large bowl of the Scooby breakfast cereal that he's come to cherish this week (thanks, Uncle JC, for leaving us a box of sugar-shaped-like-cereal for us to fight over and cry over and generally be immediately addicted to... at least it's a lot less work than the usual, albeit infinitely more healthy, oatmeal... last night, Luke told P that he was excited about going to bed because he couldn't wait for Scooby snacks in the morning. True story.) Aaaaanyway, I set his bowl before him on the table and sat down beside him with my coffee and my iPad so that I could catch up on my blog-reading. After a few minutes, Luke began to beg me to read the blogs aloud to him, a suggestion which I thought was ridiculous and resisted as much as I could manage. However, he is nothing if not persistent. So finally, I began reciting a blog entry that I didn't realize (until almost too late) was entirely about a 5-year-old innocently spouting off a curse word to her parents. Needless to say, the reading was cut short and the iPad stowed away before any questions could be asked.
And then when I finally turned to look at that sweet child who wasn't morning-grumpy for the first time in ages, I realized that he hadn't touched his cereal! The spoon was still buried under sugary dog bones! When asked for an explanation, this was Luke's response: "I haven't eaten my Scooby snacks because I was just wanting to talk instead."
WHO IS THIS CHILD???
So sweet! So polite! So patient with a Momma who had her head in the clouds! (or the Cloud... groan, sorry...)
So we talked, and I discovered from him that his favorite thing to do is to go to the mall.
Oh my.
To be clear, though, he wants to go the mall because he loves the playground there. And the "money thingies" that are "cars and trucks that take your money." Well, at least he has his priorities - and his understanding of basic economics - in tact. (And I have learned a very good lesson about the joys of taking a little time to just talk.)
Like I said, a really lovely morning. And now, maybe we'll go to the mall.
So this morning was really lovely. We've had a crazy week, recovering from being out of town, returning to normal schedules, and a [failed] attempt to potty-train a "self-directed" little girl. So this morning, when the kids slept in and I didn't, when I woke up early enough to give P a proper kiss goodbye (you know, standing up and fully awake with teeth freshly brushed), after going to sleep by 10:30 the night before and being awakened only once by a boy who just needed permission to sleep with the lights on, after waking up in a bed with 2 adults and 0 children, when I had time to eat breakfast and have two cups of coffee and do three days of belated Bible study before the first child came downstairs, well, this morning was really lovely.
When a sleepy-eyed but happy Luke finally joined me at the breakfast table, I poured him a large bowl of the Scooby breakfast cereal that he's come to cherish this week (thanks, Uncle JC, for leaving us a box of sugar-shaped-like-cereal for us to fight over and cry over and generally be immediately addicted to... at least it's a lot less work than the usual, albeit infinitely more healthy, oatmeal... last night, Luke told P that he was excited about going to bed because he couldn't wait for Scooby snacks in the morning. True story.) Aaaaanyway, I set his bowl before him on the table and sat down beside him with my coffee and my iPad so that I could catch up on my blog-reading. After a few minutes, Luke began to beg me to read the blogs aloud to him, a suggestion which I thought was ridiculous and resisted as much as I could manage. However, he is nothing if not persistent. So finally, I began reciting a blog entry that I didn't realize (until almost too late) was entirely about a 5-year-old innocently spouting off a curse word to her parents. Needless to say, the reading was cut short and the iPad stowed away before any questions could be asked.
And then when I finally turned to look at that sweet child who wasn't morning-grumpy for the first time in ages, I realized that he hadn't touched his cereal! The spoon was still buried under sugary dog bones! When asked for an explanation, this was Luke's response: "I haven't eaten my Scooby snacks because I was just wanting to talk instead."
WHO IS THIS CHILD???
So sweet! So polite! So patient with a Momma who had her head in the clouds! (or the Cloud... groan, sorry...)
So we talked, and I discovered from him that his favorite thing to do is to go to the mall.
Oh my.
To be clear, though, he wants to go the mall because he loves the playground there. And the "money thingies" that are "cars and trucks that take your money." Well, at least he has his priorities - and his understanding of basic economics - in tact. (And I have learned a very good lesson about the joys of taking a little time to just talk.)
Like I said, a really lovely morning. And now, maybe we'll go to the mall.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!