Humble Thyself['s mother] in the Sight of the Lord
Honestly, I would rather squelch this particular story. However, it's possible that one day, I will laugh about it. And by that I mean, laugh about it without also wanting to cry just a little bit.
And besides, our congregation of over 450 people witnessed the event, and they are not likely to keep tight-lipped about it forever. And by that I mean, it was the only thing anyone would talk about on Sunday.
So here's the story.
As soon as we sat down in the pew for last Sunday's morning worship, I noticed that "Children's Time" was on the worship schedule, which meant that our preacher would invite all the children to sit up on the stage so that he could have a little chat with them pertaining to the coming lesson. It's my month to lead our Toddlers' Worship, so I was considering slipping out early, but I decided to stay until our regular dismissal because of the Children's Time. Next time, I'll know better.
Our focus for the year is on "Story," and so our preacher Steve wanted the children to share some of their favorite Bible stories. Usually, we all get a kick out of Steve's son Joshua, who is intelligent beyond his years and has no fear of the microphone. Sure enough, his hand shot up to answer before Steve even got to the question. While we were all still chuckling at that, Steve moved swiftly along and was soon offering the microphone to other eager youngsters on stage, including a certain white-blonde three-year-old who had never before paid enough attention to participate in the Q&A.
I was sitting near the front, and I couldn't see Luke when Steve stood in front of him with the mic, so I held my breath anxiously as I waited to hear what he would say. My mind was racing with the possible Bible stories he might offer - surely it'd be Joshua and the battle of Jericho, which we've sung about on a nightly basis for at least a year... or maybe David and Goliath? If so, would it be obvious that his favorite character in that story is the bad guy Goliath?? Oh my...
But when that clear voice finally came through the speakers, this is what it said: "Sometimes, my mommy does things that are not good."
WHAAAAAAT???!!??!!
Steve is magnanimously trying to relate that comment to a Bible story, the congregation is in an uproar, and I am melting in humiliation. All I can do is cover my face with my hands as a flush moves up my neck. I'll admit that I deliberated on whether or not I should stand up then and there to defend myself... but instead, I tried to console myself with all the other times Luke has embarrassed me in church by running out in the middle of service or by getting too rowdy during a prayer - and to remember that every mom has these horror stories.
Needless to say, I survived the moment. Needless to say, I was asked more than once what it was that I'd done - but only in good fun. And needless to say, P and I interrogated our child as soon as we got in the car after services. And because I know you are curious, his explanation was that I had told him not to bang his bat inside the house, and that was "not a good thing." Sheesh, that boy has got the whole vengeance thing down pat...
The next morning at breakfast, Luke came to the table with a toy microphone and proceeded to interview both me and Sarah about our favorite Bible stories. Apparently, the lesson wasn't lost on him - and hopefully next time, he'll stick to the topic.
By the way, "the walls came tumbling down" is indeed his (actual) answer to Steve's question. Nothing like a good disaster story...
And besides, our congregation of over 450 people witnessed the event, and they are not likely to keep tight-lipped about it forever. And by that I mean, it was the only thing anyone would talk about on Sunday.
So here's the story.
As soon as we sat down in the pew for last Sunday's morning worship, I noticed that "Children's Time" was on the worship schedule, which meant that our preacher would invite all the children to sit up on the stage so that he could have a little chat with them pertaining to the coming lesson. It's my month to lead our Toddlers' Worship, so I was considering slipping out early, but I decided to stay until our regular dismissal because of the Children's Time. Next time, I'll know better.
Our focus for the year is on "Story," and so our preacher Steve wanted the children to share some of their favorite Bible stories. Usually, we all get a kick out of Steve's son Joshua, who is intelligent beyond his years and has no fear of the microphone. Sure enough, his hand shot up to answer before Steve even got to the question. While we were all still chuckling at that, Steve moved swiftly along and was soon offering the microphone to other eager youngsters on stage, including a certain white-blonde three-year-old who had never before paid enough attention to participate in the Q&A.
I was sitting near the front, and I couldn't see Luke when Steve stood in front of him with the mic, so I held my breath anxiously as I waited to hear what he would say. My mind was racing with the possible Bible stories he might offer - surely it'd be Joshua and the battle of Jericho, which we've sung about on a nightly basis for at least a year... or maybe David and Goliath? If so, would it be obvious that his favorite character in that story is the bad guy Goliath?? Oh my...
But when that clear voice finally came through the speakers, this is what it said: "Sometimes, my mommy does things that are not good."
WHAAAAAAT???!!??!!
Steve is magnanimously trying to relate that comment to a Bible story, the congregation is in an uproar, and I am melting in humiliation. All I can do is cover my face with my hands as a flush moves up my neck. I'll admit that I deliberated on whether or not I should stand up then and there to defend myself... but instead, I tried to console myself with all the other times Luke has embarrassed me in church by running out in the middle of service or by getting too rowdy during a prayer - and to remember that every mom has these horror stories.
Needless to say, I survived the moment. Needless to say, I was asked more than once what it was that I'd done - but only in good fun. And needless to say, P and I interrogated our child as soon as we got in the car after services. And because I know you are curious, his explanation was that I had told him not to bang his bat inside the house, and that was "not a good thing." Sheesh, that boy has got the whole vengeance thing down pat...
The next morning at breakfast, Luke came to the table with a toy microphone and proceeded to interview both me and Sarah about our favorite Bible stories. Apparently, the lesson wasn't lost on him - and hopefully next time, he'll stick to the topic.
By the way, "the walls came tumbling down" is indeed his (actual) answer to Steve's question. Nothing like a good disaster story...
Love it!!! I wondered if you would post about it!!
ReplyDelete