More Travel Updates (You just couldn't wait, I'm sure...)

As promised, we toured the Colorado State Capitol building today. Turns out it was built by the same guy who did our beloved Texas Capitol, so things were very familiar (though much smaller... of course).

The best part was our tour guide. Is it just me, or is the tour guide often the best part of the tour? Nothing like having 45 minutes to speculate about the character and personality (and performance strengths and weaknesses) of a complete stranger... Our guide for the Colorado Capitol tour was a thin, somewhat stooped, elderly gentleman. I think it took him a moment to warm up to us, but before long, it was hard to miss the twinkle in his eyes as he added interesting historical anecdotes and pointed out his favorite architectural details. He knew the answer to every question, and he was quick to accommodate the young family with the stroller (us). We visited with him for a moment afterwards, and I had that feeling that you get when you have the opportunity to speak one-on-one with a popular and gifted professor - you just want to drink deeply from this fountain of knowledge - but there are five other students behind you, waiting for test scores... Anyway, it was a lovely morning.

We bid P goodbye just before lunch, and Sarah and I tackled the 16th Street Mall once again. This time, we didn't have to fight our way through zombies (although drops of blood still smattered the sidewalk), and the weather was perfect for a stroll. We ate a leisurely lunch, scouted out all the shopping venues (all of them), and then grabbed a bowl of Pad Thai to bring back to the room for dinner. After two long days walking and standing and carrying a little chunker, I was ready to kick back and relax! Who knew that dinner in bed could be so good?

Comments