Happy Halloween!
A few weeks ago I was telling P that I don't think I like Halloween as much as I used to. And it's not just the over abundance of candy that I have to deal with (both in terms of the kids AND myself); I think the real trigger for my distaste over the past few years has been the crazy fascination with morbid decor - whether it be in the Oriental Trading catalog (which Luke would. not. put. down. I had to steal it in order to throw it away...) or on Pinterest. (What is up with all the suburban home-schooling blogger moms obsessed with DIYing skulls and deadly poison bottles for their mantle display? It's creepy. And not in a good way.)
Anyway, I have had a change of heart. Today. Because the kids are home (it's Friday), and we've spent the morning putting their costumes together. And they refuse to take them off, so they are in character all day today, and it's fun.
And also, last night P came home excited and ready to carve our pumpkin, and he and the kids did that while I fixed supper, and then afterwards we watched Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin together.
And even all the candy. ALL THE CANDY. First, last week I bought a bag of my favorite Halloween candy, Mellowcreme Pumpkins, and that was a mistake. I now know exactly how many of those I shouldn't eat at once. (Though I won't deny that it's been useful in bribing kids to do homework or chores.)
And then Sarah came home from preschool yesterday with a huge sackful of candy. At first, I was like, "Really???" But then I knew it wasn't a school night, so we just all ate the candy together, and we continue to eat it together, rewarding ourselves for anything: "Okay, Sarah needs to use the potty and Luke needs to get dressed, and then we all get a piece of candy." Or "Let me finish this one part of the costume and then we all get candy." Or "When everyone gets to the living room, candy." No sugar comas yet...
I think that between the costumes and the pumpkins and, yes, even the candy, the air is just full of that feeling that only comes on days that are special. And it doesn't hurt that the weather is beginning to feel Fall-ish, finally.
It's really, really nice.
Maybe I don't hate Halloween after all...






Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!