First Day of Kindergarten

First, a little word of advice: try not to be nine months pregnant when your firstborn starts kindergarten. I'm not saying that we planned for this to happen, I'm just saying that it has its pitfalls. Like a few weeks of scurried madness as you try to prepare for two major events in your children's lives (without neglecting the middle one in the mean time). Like filling out school forms and a baby book simultaneously (or maybe not even touching the baby book because the school forms were surprisingly exhausting). Like making room in your house for a nursery while also working on routines that might ensure early bedtimes and not forgetting to brush your kid's teeth on the morning of his first day of school (we did forget). Like not knowing how to prepare newly-met teachers for Birth Plans A-Q, which may not affect them at all - or which might require them to extend a little grace to a mom who is going into labor and maybe having difficulty locating anyone to pick up her child on time. Like waking up during the night before the first day of school, petrified that labor will begin at that moment and that the firstborn's first day of school will be completely ruined and entirely missed by his too-sentimental-but-also-having-a-baby mother (that did not happen, praise God!).

We made chains to countdown the days
till school started. Nothing like a
little build-up for the big days!
Sarah still doesn't quite understand
why hers is so much longer...
me neither! :)
On the other hand, between the sheer exhaustion of a third trimester and the brain cells already lost due to previous childbirths, perhaps the combination of new kindergartner and new baby is magically wonderful. I haven't had time to obsess over this moment, but I've been able to do a handful of things to make the day special that I think I'll appreciate later on (and maybe Luke will too, but I'm not holding my breath). We spent the last few weeks savoring summertime, and even though we didn't check off every item on the "one last time" list, we did a lot - and also didn't do a lot, which might have been even more important. We took time, over the last several days, to visit with Luke about some of the things he'd be doing in school, and we worked on the little things, like buckling his belt and making sure he knew to close the bathroom stall (not sure that one stuck, unfortunately). He was nervous about a few things, like having homework ("I'm just not a kid who likes to work - I'm a kid who likes to play!"), but he was excited about so many others, like recess and sitting next to his "best friend from Water Camp" in class (we'll see how long that lasts!). P talked to him about classroom rules and discipline procedures over dinner last night, and I have never been more thankful to have married a man who is such a good, loving daddy. After dinner, Luke helped me pack his lunch (Sarah insisted on packing hers as well), and then I set out his uniform and backpack while P gave him a bath. We even made it to bedtime at a decent hour!

This morning, I made cinnamon rolls and scrambled eggs, and we made time to snap pictures in the backyard before we piled into the van. Sarah and I walked Luke into school and helped him unload his backpack in the hallway, which was packed with families toting expensive cameras and documenting every moment. I wasn't expecting this, and I didn't even get out my phone for a few candids - but I don't think I'll regret that. I was so proud of the way Luke walked into that school and then into his classroom as if he was ready to rule the world; I'm glad I didn't miss those moments because I was trying to capture something on film. I snuck into his classroom after he was seated so that I could say my goodbyes and I love yous - but he was already settled into that new world and may not have even noticed me - which was probably the best gift a kid could give to his overly-nervous mother! I knew that he was in for a great day.

Sarah and I left him to it, and then we walked to the school's Great Room, where we enjoyed visiting with other parents at a sweet little reception (the muffins and cinnamon rolls were more than adequate in helping Sarah get over the fact that she didn't get to go to school like her brother). We stayed much longer than I'd anticipated, but by the time I left, I had been reminded once more of what a blessing it is to find ourselves in this new community of loving, godly families.

Sarah and I have spent our day at home, working on the baby room a bit, enjoying a quiet lunch, and settling in for an early rest time. We probably still have some "processing" to do about this new development in life, but I feel pretty good about it now. But I also can't wait to pick that boy up and hear about his day!

Comments

  1. Becca,
    What a blessing you are to your family! I loved reading about Luke and Sarah on Luke's first day of school. I remember what a creative student you were, and that continues in the way you treat your children. Hope the new Baby appreciates his wonderful Mother in a few years.
    Myra Mc

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!