Do you hear the people sing?

This morning I spent some time browsing Pandora stations in a futile effort to find some music that met with my son's approval (he was a bit grouchy at the time; something about wanting to do/have whatever it was I wasn't going to let him do/have). I started off with some Indie Singer-Songwriter and then moved to Rock Hits before finally (with a sigh of remorse) settling on the Disney station.

I don't take these music choices lightly. It's important to me that my children get just the right combination of Mozart to make them smart, Chris Tomlin to make them love the Lord, and the Rolling Stones to teach them what good music sounds like. Okay, okay, I jest. A little. But seriously, we mothers cannot underestimate the impact our music choices will have on our children.

As for me, I am the proud memorizer of many of the first lines of songs from the '60s and '70s, thanks to my mom's tendency to apply one line of lyric in place of a normal parenting response. That's how I know the Stones, after all ("You can't. always. get. what you wa-ant!"). And also, "I never promised you a rose garden..." And for some reason, she also taught us, "I'm being followed by a moon shadow, moon shadow, moon shadow" - which obviously wouldn't have applied to anything in real life, so it must have just been one of those phrases that gets stuck in your mind really easily. You're welcome. Don't worry - it's in my head again now, too. And I don't even know any more of it. I only know it's Cat Stevens from Googling it two seconds ago.

On the other hand, some mothers are a little more thorough in their music education. This Christmas, one of my gifts to P was a collection of Neil Diamond hits. I was a little nervous about it because I wasn't sure he'd like it, but on more than one occasion, he's related memories of his mom listening to her Neil Diamond records, so I figured he might enjoy sharing that experience with his own kids. And what do you know - I was right! He's playing that album for them right at this very moment (while they are held captive in the bathtub, no less!). I'm thrilled that he has enjoyed that gift - and also impressed by the way that this music is a part of him, and a part of his memories of his mom.

I love music, and I am so thankful that God created us with the capacity to make and appreciate melodies and lyrics. I love the way that songs can communicate more completely than speech alone, especially in the depths of emotions - in worship, in grief, in love. I love the way that music can become attached to memories and to relationships and even to eras of our lives. I especially love the fact that I can carry my entire music collection - from Adele to Dean Martin to Foo Fighters to Jars of Clay - around with me on my phone, for instant, anywhere access. And I love the fact that I can share my love of music with my kids, whether I'm teaching them single lines to songs or the repertoires of great musicians.


PS - Speaking of getting a song in your head, I apologize. Because if you read the title of this post (and you've seen Les Mis, on stage or in the latest film version), you will now be singing that anthem for the next five days. Or, if you are like P and myself after seeing the film last week, you may be singing a rotating medley of all the major songs from the musical. Talk about great music, though... even if it does stick with you like a bad burrito...

Comments