Betty White

In the last week, two people have asked me what I have been reading lately. As a some-time librarian and former English teacher, I should consider that question to be an easy lob, right? At the very least, it shouldn't fill me with confusion and a vague sense of embarrassment... and yet...

The truth is that while I've always considered myself to be "a reader," there have been definite periods of my life in which I haven't read. Anything. Most of those periods actually included lots of reading - reading literary classics for high school English, reading Biology textbooks in college, or (even more dreadful than either of those) reading sophomore essays. But if I don't have an extra paperback on the bedside table (or stuffed in my purse), then I don't consider myself to be "reading" anything.

So I guess right now, I'm "reading" a lot of things. Because there are actually five paperbacks on my bedside table, and one often goes with me in my purse throughout the day. And that's not counting a few ebooks that I've started on my Kindle. (Or the dozens of picture books I faithfully share with my children.)

But let's face it: I'm in a bit of a rut. I blame a lot of that on a self-help book that I'm trudging through - it glares at me reproachfully any time I pass it over for something more entertaining. But the entertaining ones are also at fault here, as I find myself in the middle of two rereads: The Hobbit and the first book of The Mitford series. The latter has just about earned a return ticket to the shelf; I love that series, but it's simply not fascinating enough to warrant a second time through (for me). The former is indeed fascinating enough for the second read - but the very complexity of Tolkien which makes him an excellent reread is also a great stumbling block for those of us who must work through the bountiful details of his made-up world at a snail's pace.

And my audiobook intake has suffered from the fact that my trips to the gym are, ahem, infrequent. Also, I recently discovered that a treadmill is much improved when one can watch Netflix on one's phone whilst jogging. Besides, I'm running short of options from our library's meager digital downloads collection....


So that's what I'm reading lately. An autobiography by Betty White. And sometimes The Hobbit. (Try to hold back your applause.)

Incidentally, the Betty White book is really entertaining - as might be expected. I don't know why I've always been drawn to her - it's not as if she's the only funny actress in the world. But my theory is that she reminds me a lot of my grandmother "EO." Not only do they both have beautiful "silver" hair and a certain grace that hearkens back to a different era, but they are both as sweet as can be - and yet always with a twinkle in the eye which suggests mischief underneath. 

Comments