Growing up!
Last month, I came across this video I shot of Luke when he was around 14 months:
Ah.... I remember those days, when I carefully and patiently worked with Luke to teach him certain animal sounds, when we read counting books over and over again so that he would begin to recognize numbers, when I kept track of every word he learned....
Poor Sarah.
So in an effort to make up for some lost time, I have spent the last month making sure that Sarah knows at least a few animal sounds (and if you've been around us lately, I've probably gotten her to perform them for you - at least once...).
I've also been trying to keep up with the words she's saying - and simultaneously trying to not let myself be concerned if her rate of progress isn't the same as Luke's was, because it isn't. (Can you blame her? Luke talks enough for all of the rest of us combined. And it's not as if that stops me from being chatty... you know, Sarah is entitled to value a little peace and quiet.)
Incidentally, she's very good at a breathy, "Hi," and a very-pleased-with-herself, "Uh-oh!" She also has generally consistent sounds for Daddy (of course) and Luke - and my mother-in-law tells me that she said "Mommy" a lot last week (Side Note: Do I have an awesome mother-in-law or what? keeps the kids all week and then makes me feel like they might have missed me - even though I know good and well that they were too busy playing and having a blast...). I think Sarah can also say "dog" - and "woof" is one of her favorite animal sounds. In fact, you can pretty much guarantee that in Sarahland, all the animals either bark or roar.
But the big news this week isn't that Sarah is starting to talk but that she's starting to WALK! Yea! I've been a little overeager for this moment, I'll admit. For weeks now, I've been Ready for her to walk on her own. But you know how these kids are... they have to "decide for themselves" and all that nonsense. Well, maybe not "nonsense" - sorry, I'm still a little cranky about waiting this long for it to happen. WEEKS of finger-holding-walking: it was about to drive me crazy.
But that's finally over, and one more kid of mine is moving out of the infant stage. It's so funny to watch her Frankenstein around, with those pudgy little stiff legs. And maybe it's just me, but I think that she's matured a little in the last week or so; it's as if her decision to start walking was really just a decision to be a big girl and get on with this whole growing up thing.
Not so fast, girlie. Not so fast...
Ah.... I remember those days, when I carefully and patiently worked with Luke to teach him certain animal sounds, when we read counting books over and over again so that he would begin to recognize numbers, when I kept track of every word he learned....
Poor Sarah.
So in an effort to make up for some lost time, I have spent the last month making sure that Sarah knows at least a few animal sounds (and if you've been around us lately, I've probably gotten her to perform them for you - at least once...).
I've also been trying to keep up with the words she's saying - and simultaneously trying to not let myself be concerned if her rate of progress isn't the same as Luke's was, because it isn't. (Can you blame her? Luke talks enough for all of the rest of us combined. And it's not as if that stops me from being chatty... you know, Sarah is entitled to value a little peace and quiet.)
Incidentally, she's very good at a breathy, "Hi," and a very-pleased-with-herself, "Uh-oh!" She also has generally consistent sounds for Daddy (of course) and Luke - and my mother-in-law tells me that she said "Mommy" a lot last week (Side Note: Do I have an awesome mother-in-law or what? keeps the kids all week and then makes me feel like they might have missed me - even though I know good and well that they were too busy playing and having a blast...). I think Sarah can also say "dog" - and "woof" is one of her favorite animal sounds. In fact, you can pretty much guarantee that in Sarahland, all the animals either bark or roar.
But the big news this week isn't that Sarah is starting to talk but that she's starting to WALK! Yea! I've been a little overeager for this moment, I'll admit. For weeks now, I've been Ready for her to walk on her own. But you know how these kids are... they have to "decide for themselves" and all that nonsense. Well, maybe not "nonsense" - sorry, I'm still a little cranky about waiting this long for it to happen. WEEKS of finger-holding-walking: it was about to drive me crazy.
But that's finally over, and one more kid of mine is moving out of the infant stage. It's so funny to watch her Frankenstein around, with those pudgy little stiff legs. And maybe it's just me, but I think that she's matured a little in the last week or so; it's as if her decision to start walking was really just a decision to be a big girl and get on with this whole growing up thing.
Not so fast, girlie. Not so fast...
And, for those of you who may be interested, "Sarah's Sounds":

Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!