Things I've learned over the past 9 days...

  • If, in the future, my water breaks, I should drop everything immediately and head to the birthing center/hospital; there'll likely be a baby within around 65 minutes.
  • Proud big brothers can be so sweet with their newborn baby sisters.
  • Proud big brothers can be so violent with their newborn baby sisters.
  • My sister-in-law, my daughter, and I myself were all given middle names after our maternal grandmothers.
  • Baby girl clothes are waaaaay cuter than boy clothes. Waaaay cuter.
  • A dark-haired baby's dark hair is a source of constant awe and delight in a family of blondes. (Even if it will likely revert to blonde eventually.)
  • A good midwife is a wonderful thing.
  • A lot of things are waaaay easier the second time around, but there is still plenty of learning to do (mostly with regard to the firstborn).
  • Netflix streams Kipper and Sesame Street (this isn't actually the first time I learned that fact - but it's the first time I learned its true value).
  • There's nothing quite like a day of constant Facebook notifications bringing news of friends' and family members' loving good wishes.
  • My laptop is too large to balance on my nursing pillow.
  • A hot shower never felt so good. Especially when it involves being in a room all by myself for at least 15 minutes.
  • A Kindle is a truly remarkable device, and Agatha Christie is the perfect companion for 3 am feedings.
  • So this is what exhaustion feels like...
  • A good mother (or mother-in-law) is of immeasurable worth.
  • Meals brought by church families are as close to Heavenly feasts as we are likely to see here on earth.
  • Mothers love the darnedest things. Like the scrunched up face of a newborn just before she lets loose on a monstrous bellow. Or the shining face of a toddler as he runs into the room in the early morning with a sing-song "Hi, Mommy" and a dash towards the bassinet to greet Baby Sister.
  • When you've called someone "Baby Sister" for nine months, it's hard to break the habit.
  • God is good. (This is also a fact that I had learned previously, but I'm appreciating it anew right now, in the midst of rich blessings and bountiful mercy.)

Comments

  1. Love it, Bekah. And I love you! So happy you have a girl in your life. It will change everything for you. And while he may be rough and tumble with her now, when she gets to high school, he will be invaluable!! ;) If we could train him to protect Ruby in the same way, that'd be great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I don't like that part about "so this is what exhaustion feels like". Your words have haunted me in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!