Decency: The next chapter in American history?

Important news today in the Metroplex:

You can spend a small fortune on an airline ticket and still not arrive at your destination if your skirt's too short or your neckline's too low.

Or maybe I should rephrase that: Companies who offer a for-profit service can also deny that service on certain grounds.

Why are we outraged that scantily-clad women are being denied airline service when they refuse to display more decency? One Star-Telegram reader explained it this way:
"This lady is not exempted from rules. Certain places have dress codes and she's no better than any one else."
Another noted:
"The only complaint the other passenger had was this girl was HOT! SMOKIN!"
(His depth of insight is staggering.)

I tend to align more with this comment:
"Cheers to [Southwest] for at least trying to provide some form of decency for those trapped inside of a flying tin can for the duration."
But no matter how you stand on this issue, isn't it fascinating that it's an 'issue' at all? I mean, what is really at stake here, it seems, is America's death-grip on adolescence (not to be mistaken for a death-grip on adolescents... that would be our public education system, and would require a whole 'nother post).

Remember those years in junior high? You had Mom drop you off three blocks from basketball practice - and it wasn't just because of the condition of your '85 Oldsmobile... And when you got home, you slammed the door so that the "KEEP OUT" sign echoed the slam throughout the house, and then you pulled up your floorboards in order to access your secret stash of punk music - wait, I think I'm getting off track here. What I mean to say is that sometimes we Americans display all the worst tendencies of a preteen - we truly do think we know everything, and we get fierce when anyone threatens our right to decide everything for ourselves. Sometimes I think the only reason the Constitution (or any laws) are intact is because enough of us haven't taken enough time to read them - and decide that (gasp) they might just be asking us to give up some of our rights...

I know. It's an old argument. And I know that I'm beginning to sound a bit whiny myself, and that my accusations could easily make their way back around to the source... But the truth is, this is really sad. Makes me kind of want to go up to those girls and say, "Oh, honey, come here...[pat, pat] you got much worse problems than not getting on a flight..." But, naturally, those particular girls are busy right now with their 15 minutes, hitting every major talk show and making headlines across the 'net. Maybe they'll need their hugs later.

Comments