Busy
Yes, that's what I am. If I were on Messenger, the icon would be red.
And so that is why I'm taking this moment to Reflect on Life.
See, today at work, I read four different freshman comp essays, all of which narrated painful learning experiences from the writers' junior high years. As I was working with each of these future-autobiographers, I found myself really enjoying the experience - after all, the essays were all for the most part in really good shape, and our conversations about them (I thought) were highly productive.
But then a few hours later, I found myself standing in line at Brookshire's, sliding my grocery basket on the floor (because whenever possible I refuse to push a cart), seeing an awkward-looking eleven-year-old girl in the next lane, and thinking, "Oh my word. That is SO what I was like in middle school. Only I was worse. Much. Worse." Suddenly, all the afternoon's captivating narratives, full of valuable life lessons, were overtaken by the awful memories of the Past, and all I could think about were how many, many ways in which I was the perfect topic for any typical school bully - and I found myself surprised that I made it out alive and (relatively) whole. And then I began to realize that I have never really thought back on those dark days of early adolescence. And that's because, well, folks, it's just not a pretty picture.
I've always thought, "Oh, well, no one is proud of their junior high years - we were all awkward then..." But seeing that girl, reading those stories - somehow it just all hit me. I was the most awkward girl of all.
All that to say, let's all rejoice that I wasn't assigned to write a narrative about a junior high experience. It'd be worse than breathing inside a latrine.
Now back to all that work I have to do...
And so that is why I'm taking this moment to Reflect on Life.
See, today at work, I read four different freshman comp essays, all of which narrated painful learning experiences from the writers' junior high years. As I was working with each of these future-autobiographers, I found myself really enjoying the experience - after all, the essays were all for the most part in really good shape, and our conversations about them (I thought) were highly productive.
But then a few hours later, I found myself standing in line at Brookshire's, sliding my grocery basket on the floor (because whenever possible I refuse to push a cart), seeing an awkward-looking eleven-year-old girl in the next lane, and thinking, "Oh my word. That is SO what I was like in middle school. Only I was worse. Much. Worse." Suddenly, all the afternoon's captivating narratives, full of valuable life lessons, were overtaken by the awful memories of the Past, and all I could think about were how many, many ways in which I was the perfect topic for any typical school bully - and I found myself surprised that I made it out alive and (relatively) whole. And then I began to realize that I have never really thought back on those dark days of early adolescence. And that's because, well, folks, it's just not a pretty picture.
I've always thought, "Oh, well, no one is proud of their junior high years - we were all awkward then..." But seeing that girl, reading those stories - somehow it just all hit me. I was the most awkward girl of all.
All that to say, let's all rejoice that I wasn't assigned to write a narrative about a junior high experience. It'd be worse than breathing inside a latrine.
Now back to all that work I have to do...
Awkward junior high years? Hmmm...
ReplyDeleteYou make an interesting point, but I... have no... idea... what... you're talking... about...
Actually, this is quite thought provoking. The wife can vouch that I flat out refuse- to this very day- to watch my parent's homevideos of my early years. I have also been known to remark that if I could go back in time and meet myself... I'd probably beat myself up. I guess we all have hidden scars/burdens to bear.
This is a good entry, Bekah.
Thanks, Ben!
ReplyDeleteMaybe we should start a support group.... no... come to think of it, denial's probably the best solution...