School Has Started!
(Just in case you were wondering.)
Sarah is in Mrs. Aguilar's Kindergarten class and, contrary to my worst (and most ridiculous) fears, she seems to be transitioning quite easily into school life. It helps that Covenant's new homework policy includes very little homework for Kindergarteners... And I think it never occurred to HER to be anxious about this new beginning - after all, she's been anticipating it eagerly ever since the first day we dropped Luke off at kindergarten! She was thrilled to be in the same class as one of the new friends she made at Water Camp in June, and she is also in class with another new friend we got to know at the pool this summer; and although her church friend Kate is in a different class, they play together on the seesaw at recess. She has loved the attention she receives on campus from Luke and (Big) Andrew and other older kids from church, like Zoe and Ava. It is a special blessing to know that she feels so at home there - because I'm not going to lie: I'm kind of missing her here at our home!
Luke has had less homework, too, thanks to the changes they've made this year. I'll admit, I was skeptical at first: P and I appreciate the rigorous standards at Covenant. However, after a week of the new policy, I'm sold. Weekday evenings will always be somewhat crazy, but they were much more manageable - even with the addition of an hour of gymnastics for Sarah on Monday and an hour of soccer practice for Luke on Tuesday. I'm proud to say that we not only made it to those events, but we also had dinner AND BATHS every night - and still made it to bed around 8!! That is a minor miracle for this family, folks. And I won't promise that it'll happen every week, but I'm hopeful.
On the Homefront, there is no doubt that Andrew misses his siblings. And so do I! The first day of school, we went straight to Walmart after drop-off (which was glorious with only one kid, I won't lie), but the minute we got home, Andrew ran into the house and searched every room, saying, "Dada? Wur he go?" and holding his chubby little hands palm out to emphasize the urgency of the question. When I finally convinced him it was only us in the house, he walked over to his toys in a daze, as if he simply couldn't wrap his mind around the solitude. But the next morning was a different story: he cheerfully waved goodbye as P drove off with the big kids and then pranced back into the house to be surrounded in the glory of just him and his toys and no big brothers or sisters to bother him! That glee lasted for the rest of the week, but I'm afraid it's beginning to wear off. I am typing this from our back patio, and although Andrew usually loves to play outside, he seems less excited about it today, and every few minutes, he comes over to beg me to fix something or play baseball with him or push him in the swing. (Can't he see I'm busy?? Ha ha...) Thankfully, he will start Mother's Day Out soon, and then there will be BSF, and it won't be long before we are all too busy to notice the ways that our lives have changed dramatically once again.
SaveSave
Luke is in Mrs. Stephens's 2nd grade class, where he is looking forward to learning about Egypt and spending every minute of lunch and recess with his best bud Andrew. I have agreed to be one of the Contact Parents for his class, so I'm looking forward to being a little more intentionally involved this year - and praying I don't regret it! Ha!
Sarah is in Mrs. Aguilar's Kindergarten class and, contrary to my worst (and most ridiculous) fears, she seems to be transitioning quite easily into school life. It helps that Covenant's new homework policy includes very little homework for Kindergarteners... And I think it never occurred to HER to be anxious about this new beginning - after all, she's been anticipating it eagerly ever since the first day we dropped Luke off at kindergarten! She was thrilled to be in the same class as one of the new friends she made at Water Camp in June, and she is also in class with another new friend we got to know at the pool this summer; and although her church friend Kate is in a different class, they play together on the seesaw at recess. She has loved the attention she receives on campus from Luke and (Big) Andrew and other older kids from church, like Zoe and Ava. It is a special blessing to know that she feels so at home there - because I'm not going to lie: I'm kind of missing her here at our home!
![]() |
| Gymnastics: How We Survive the Hour |
Another interesting change in our routine this year is that I'm training the kids to pack their own lunches. I'm helping, of course, but they are managing a lot more of it than I thought they could - especially Sarah. And it's freed us from Lunchables, praise the Lord. (There is nothing wrong with Lunchables, by the way: they are the only way we survived the last two years! But since the Eldest was basically eating the Oreos and nothing else by end of the last school year, it was time for a change...)
On the Homefront, there is no doubt that Andrew misses his siblings. And so do I! The first day of school, we went straight to Walmart after drop-off (which was glorious with only one kid, I won't lie), but the minute we got home, Andrew ran into the house and searched every room, saying, "Dada? Wur he go?" and holding his chubby little hands palm out to emphasize the urgency of the question. When I finally convinced him it was only us in the house, he walked over to his toys in a daze, as if he simply couldn't wrap his mind around the solitude. But the next morning was a different story: he cheerfully waved goodbye as P drove off with the big kids and then pranced back into the house to be surrounded in the glory of just him and his toys and no big brothers or sisters to bother him! That glee lasted for the rest of the week, but I'm afraid it's beginning to wear off. I am typing this from our back patio, and although Andrew usually loves to play outside, he seems less excited about it today, and every few minutes, he comes over to beg me to fix something or play baseball with him or push him in the swing. (Can't he see I'm busy?? Ha ha...) Thankfully, he will start Mother's Day Out soon, and then there will be BSF, and it won't be long before we are all too busy to notice the ways that our lives have changed dramatically once again.
And now it's starting to rain, so I'd better get us inside!
(Or not.)





Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!