Andrew Silas, 18 Months!
Today the inevitable happened. I caught Andrew merrily putt-putting down the driveway on his toddler car, moments before he pulled straight out onto our busy street - looking for all the world like he knew exactly what he was doing and where he was headed. He was none too pleased when I hijacked his joy ride; he held on for dear life and screamed bloody murder as I peeled him off the scooter. I'm not sure which part of the episode our neighbors will view as the most incriminating in terms of my failures as a parent....
Andrew loves to be outside ("Sigh!!" is his happy response anytime I ask him if he wants to play outside), and it is difficult to stifle that joy, especially since his older siblings currently require all kinds of bribery just to get them to step into the backyard for five minutes at a time. I have been lucky so far that the unending clutter of our garage usually keeps him entertained when I need to run in the house for a moment, but I knew it would not last forever. We were bound to hit a point at which his craftiness and motoring skills would finally combine to bring us to this near deadly injunction. Thank the Lord I'm pretty quick myself, when I need to be!
I know we will have a good many more hair-raising adventures with young Andrew, for this child was not born to be still!
![]() |
| Everyone needs a doctor who'll make them glove balloons. |
But on the other hand, I have never known a sweeter snuggler. Andrew has been this way since birth, and I know it is God's grace to me that I might savor this baby who will likely be our last. He may run with the big kids, but once I've got him in my arms, he nestles in close to my neck and offers his cheek up for the millions of kisses I can't resist giving. He grins his dimples big and touches his forehead to mine, makes a silly face and giggles, and it makes me so grateful to have this heavy, back-breaking toddler to carry around.
Andrew is curious and headstrong; the other day he decided he wanted something that was too far back on the kitchen counter, so he simply leapt up and gripped the edge of the counter with his fingers, feet dangling, and began to scale the cabinet like a mountain climber scaling a vertical cliff. He probably would have succeeded if I hadn't been there to foil the plan - and it won't be the last time he makes such an attempt. He is especially covetous of most of the contents of our pantry; I have not had to child proof much in our house except the snack cabinet...
![]() |
| He's stuck. And not too pleased about it. |
![]() |
| "Let's be clear that I claimed this tractor first." |
![]() |
| "Better." |









Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!