The Big K
One of our major pursuits over the past few months has been Luke's admission to kindergarten. I know that many of you normal people out there are all like, "Uh, 'pursuit'? What in the...?" But yes. Getting Luke into kindergarten cost me more effort and mental anxiety than my own entrance to college. No kidding.
Now I should interject that I wasn't super choosy about college (no offense, Harding - I love you!) and it's also possible that I've forgotten some of what was involved in all of that. I mean, it's been, what? four or five years? or maybe sixteen?? [shudder]
Aaaanyway, Luke's kindergarten. We had to decide on a school and then attend interest meetings and then write essays (yes) and then attend interviews and assessments.... it was something of a beating. But now that it's all said and done, we are thrilled with our choice and excited to be looking forward to this new chapter of our lives.
On the other hand, WHOA. Kindergarten. This is serious.
I can't even fathom what life will be like for us next year, and trust me - I've spent a lot of mental energy over the past few weeks trying. There are decisions about my schedule and Sarah's schedule that have to be made now, and they all come back to this weird fact that we'll be taking the eldest to school four days a week next year. (Yes, we have chosen an awesome school that only has four-day weeks for kindergarten.)
But schedules aside, one powerful fact remains: these are my last months with my little boy at home all the time. And so we are doing what we can to treasure the time. At least, most of it. ;)
Now, if you're thinking that this means I've started "playing cars" with him or (heaven help us) more frequent games of Chutes & Ladders, let me assure you that I haven't totally lost my mind. But I am endeavoring to savor moments, to steal more hugs and kisses, and to listen and talk as much as I possibly can with this boy. I'm working harder to make sure he's learning to do more things for himself, like putting on shoes or picking out clothes or getting his own cup of milk (for pete's sake! oops, I mean, um, er....). I'm trying to think of ways to challenge him - with books, games, even conversations in the car.
But the truth is, he's ready. Even without my crazy parenting, he's ready.
He's ready to broaden his circle of friends. It's not that Sarah I don't make great companions, but we simply can't fill the incredibly large (and ever expanding) social capacity of this remarkably social boy! He loves to be with people and values his friendships very highly; I have no doubt that this is one of his spiritual gifts, and I'm eager to see what the Spirit will do with it later on. However, in our house, right now, with just the three of us most of the time, and with two of us being people who desperately need our "alone time," Luke is beginning to feel the strain. (And so. are. we.) [Insert visual of Luke leaning in two inches away from grumpy-just-awake Sarah's face, trying quite unsuccessfully to get her to acknowledge him. Followed by visual of Sarah punching him.] [I wish I had videorecorded that moment, but I'm trying not to encourage Sarah's newfound violence. Even if I totally commiserate.]
Luckily for all of us, Luke has found many good companions at church and preschool. I love hearing him tell me about preschool these days because he never fails to report on something he did (or discussed) with one of his friends. [Me: "Did you learn anything today?" Luke: "No, I don't think so. I just played with my friends."] The other day, I went in to pick him up a little earlier than usual, and the first thing he did was point out to me one of the friends he's been telling me about lately. I can't help but feel like this is the greatest compliment he could give me - making sure I am up to speed on the people he hangs out with. After all, this is very important stuff! And really, it is.
Luke is also ready to find out more about the stuff that I can't teach him. Although he has finally moved past the "Why Why WHY" stage, Luke is still insatiably curious, and once a piece of information enters his brain, he works it over and thinks it through until he's satisfied he understands it thoroughly. And if he doesn't understand something, he asks me about it; sometimes I have an answer, and sometimes I really, really don't. This morning, he wanted to know why Jake (of Jake and the Neverland Pirates fame) doesn't go to church. I know that (had it been not so early in the morning) I could have thought of a really good way to direct that conversation into evangelism or something, but frankly, I've often been puzzled by the same concept. So my answer was, "I don't know. It seems like that happens a lot with make believe people and stories, and I really don't understand it." Maybe not my smoothest teaching moment....and thus I know for sure this boy is ready to pick a few more brains than just my own! {Covenant Classical School, I hope your teachers are ready for this boy! And I hope you have some better answers for him about some of this stuff!}
Luke's mind is rife with random facts he's learned in Museum School or questions pertaining to things he didn't quite understand to his satisfaction ("Why are whales not fish?"). In preschool, they have been learning about the fifty states; Luke began our commute this morning with the conversation opener: "Illinois has the 'L' sound. So does Alaska and Louisiana. And California." And then he proceeded to sing the states in alphabetical order (with Sarah joining in for the most part, to my astonishment). This child is ready for more.
But it's not just about what he'll learn and whom he'll meet when he starts kindergarten next year. Luke is ready to experience recess (the playground is the one feature that he mentions every time we discuss his new school). He's ready to do four days a week (even if I am not!). And he's ready to be out there, on his own, learning and growing and becoming more of the boy-man that God has designed him to be.
I can't wait.
But then again, I can. I really can. :)
So sweet! Such a fun kid. Looking forward to CC with you. You're stuck with us. JJ
ReplyDelete