Reunion 2013 and Luke's 4th Birthday

[This post is long because it contains a bazillion photos. You have been warned.]

My mom's side of the family has developed a nearly 20-year-old tradition of gathering for a reunion out at my parents' place every June. It's hard to believe that it's been going on that long - but then again, it's hard to think of a time when we didn't get together for this weekend of games and visiting and cooking and eating. And while each Reunion brings with it new experiences - both carefully planned and wildly unanticipated - the underlying blessing of fellowship is what keeps us all coming back for more.

This year, the Reunion coincided with Nacogdoches's Annual Blueberry Festival, so many of us started our Saturday with an early trip into town for blueberry pancakes and a stroll across the Square.








My kids didn't even last through midmorning... But this was as good a time as any to take a nap - because there was a lot of exciting stuff ahead!


Back at the Farm, it was time sit on the porch and catch up with aunts, uncles, and cousins. (I recall that we also had a huge lunch, but apparently I was too focused on the feast to get out my camera.)





At some point in the afternoon, my brother was able to Facetime us from his post in Afghanistan. (His girlfriend Bethanie is holding up the iPad so that his son Aiden can see him, and our ex-Air Force uncle and aunt are giving their greetings.) We are all so ready for that boy to be home!!


On to the afternoon, and time for the world-famous Boxathalon, a little tradition we invented shortly after my parents built their new house right in the middle of what used to be the golf course. The Boxathalon has become an ever-changing and ever-exciting event; Dad never fails to plan games and competitions that are sure to please, including this year's new events, BB guns and archery!





The little kids spent the afternoon in the pool... we just discovered these Puddle Jumpers this summer, and it has changed. my. life. My 2-year-old can "swim" with it on!! On her own!! Without clinging to me the entire time!!! IT'S AMAZING!!! Okay, sorry, I'm done. (And apparently, I've used up my exclamation point quota, so... dull and dreary from here on out.)


As evening rolled around, we all got ready for the Saturday night entertainment: Memaw's Hee-Haw. My cousin Katrina emceed for us again this year; she always does an incredible job - especially considering the line-up of "acts" that she usually has to choose from.



There's always a few songs from Dad, of course, and early in the show, he had quite the array of tiny dancers to accompany him. Sarah had so much fun in the limelight that she just stayed up there through the first several performances! Unfortunately, she conked out in P's lap before it was her turn to sing for us. Maybe next year...









And the crowds went wild! A fabulous show from a fabulously talented family, if I do say so myself. And I do.

After a well-earned night's rest, we gathered again Sunday morning for our traditional Reunion church service. Dad did his special "children's storytime" as a lead up to the sermon. I have great memories of Aunt Marquita's grandkids putting on some incredible performances during these storytimes in the past; alas, my kids were too shy/young/bone-tired to really get into it, but it was fun to watch them anyway.




My uncle Lee shared a beautiful communion message, and then my uncle John preached a great sermon. We are richly blessed to have such a tradition and example of faith within our family!


Of course, once the closing "Amen" was said, we moved right along to the next important order of business: the Boxathalon winners! Notice that handsome guy (and his clingy toddler) second from the right? As you can imagine, I'm super proud. :)


The rest of the afternoon would include more eating, some goodbyes, more playing, and more visiting.







We neglected to take the group picture when all of the group was still present. In fact, I sent my dad off to look for a tripod, and he missed the whole thing even though he was still around! So I promised to Photoshop him in - with my uncle Rusty, who was taking the picture. Unfortunately, I don't own Photoshop, so here's their picture by itself.



As I said, these kids were worn out.... but don't go to sleep yet, Luke! There's one more thing we have to do!!

PAAAAAAARRRRR-TYYYYY!

Because the Reunion this year was so early in June, it landed right on Luke's 4th birthday. We held off on the celebrations till Sunday afternoon, but we didn't hold off on the gifts! Look at that pile... sheesh!




These guys... they are the best of friends. Love. It.



Aiden was very helpful when it came to opening the gifts. Very helpful. (Serves Luke right, honestly - he did the same thing to his sister a month earlier!)




Poor kid - he's soooo tired, and yet sooooooooo happy!


Apparently, he already knows that the best gifts come in ugly black trashbags. And he was right; this was his awesome new Imaginext castle.

Of course, any four-year-old will tell you, a party isn't a party unless it has cake. CHOCOLATE cake.


[I know you are super impressed by my piping/decorating skills, and if you are thinking of hiring me for future events, I'm definitely available.]




And that's the end of my pictures, although P and the kids and I stayed through the night and enjoyed more time with my parents as well as their Sunday night small group crew - while Luke and Aiden played nonstop with the castle, of course.

Whew. I'm tired just thinking about all of that! What a great Reunion weekend... may there be many more to follow!

Comments