Potty Chart Update

For those of you who may be interested, the Going Potty Chart has been working quite well in our house. Luke is back in "big boy" underwear most of the time and is even staying dry when he sleeps now - hooray! And we don't fight about going to the potty... most of the time...

However, there have been a few unforeseen problems with this method of motivation. First of all, while it has nearly eliminated battles over going to the potty, it has created battles over whether or not Luke can have a cookie every time he goes. Apparently, this two-year-old doesn't quite get the concept of "five times" and "delayed rewards." Go figure. Also, I think the cookie image I used on the chart is just too realistic for him - I swear I found him licking one of them after I posted the chart on the wall.

The second issue took me by complete surprise. Luke may pretend not to understand what "five" means, but that doesn't mean he isn't sneaky and resourceful, and he's been using those gifts to add unearned stickers to his chart on the sly. The other day, when we all lay down for our naps, he had only one sticker on his current "potty row." When we all got up from our naps, there were four stickers on that row. Evidently, while I slept, he snuck into the bathroom with a stool so he could reach the stickers and make his additions. And I'm sure that after that, he spent a while practicing his Face of Innocence in the mirror before heading back to his own bed. The stinker.

But those issues aside, I'm pretty pleased. Now if I can just figure out how to make a chart that'll motivate Sarah to take her naps...

Comments

  1. Soooo hilarious!!!! Love it!!!
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it terrible to say that I am kind of so proud of Luke for that? (While simultaneously feeling your pain, of course...)
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!