I spent the last week in the Homeland, helping my parents move into their beautiful new log cabin. And between the lack of steady access to the 'net and the tendency my Mom and I have to talk for hours, I faced a truly great challenge: to not discuss the "outing" of Dumbledore with my mom. Since I am required (a la school) to read through a certain librarian listserv, I was pelted all week with news and discussion regarding the topic - yet, thanks to the fact that I am a newbie (not even a Real Librarian - still velveteen, I guess. . .) and that my views on homosexuality are apparently quite divergent from those of the typical library crowd, I knew I could not partake in the discussion, but must instead suffer to listen in silence. But, oh, I was eager to talk! And there was my mom. . . always eager to talk back. . . But I just couldn't - I couldn't do it to her. Sure, she'll find out eventually, but I needn't be the messenger. And talking about it won't really change anything, now, will it?
So with all that drama behind me, I was so relieved to read this opinion linked from the LISNews blog. This is exactly how I feel! (And, incidentally, it's exactly why I'm dissatisfied by the 7th book's epilogue.) What a blessed grace to know I'm not the only one. . . and to know that I need not find the words to express it myself, thanks to this dear, dear Jeffrey Weiss. So, since I still can't tell my mom, I'm telling you. Thanks for listening.
So with all that drama behind me, I was so relieved to read this opinion linked from the LISNews blog. This is exactly how I feel! (And, incidentally, it's exactly why I'm dissatisfied by the 7th book's epilogue.) What a blessed grace to know I'm not the only one. . . and to know that I need not find the words to express it myself, thanks to this dear, dear Jeffrey Weiss. So, since I still can't tell my mom, I'm telling you. Thanks for listening.
I suppose if JK wants to come up with an encyclopedia of extra-book detail about her stories, she's free to do so. I don't take offense that she does it. I enjoy seeing the intricacies of the world people create, for the more detail that's in a book, the more real the world seems. I don't see people ripping on Tolkien for "The Silmarillion" or "The Book of Lost Tales". People want to know those details. They want the worlds to seem real to them. It draws them into the story.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if I agree the with literary purity spoken of in the article you mentioned. I'm not sure if I think of stories as being real to me, as if my imagination somehow made something real or substantial. I don't know if "real to me" counts for anything. "What does this story do for me? What does it make me think? What questions does it ask?" These are all things stories do for me.
If JK wants to reveal what's in her head, then we should profit by understanding her motives, what she thinks is important, what she thinks is good. I didn't have much respect for the books as good portrayals of reality or nobility. They teach little that's worth knowing. The revelation that Dumbledore is gay only tells me that she doesn't think there's anything wrong with that. She also doesn't think it's wrong to lie, break the rules, hate your enemies, or cheat when you have a good enough reason. The basic plot elements of each book are what ruin them for me. I think her stories are inventive and creative. They characters are well developed. The world is built with such care that it seems real and believable. That doesn't make up for the presence of bad morals and the lack of good ones.
Wow, my comment was going to be short but now it will look really short.
ReplyDeletePicture me with my fingers in my ears and making noise so that I don't hear what you are saying. I am addicted to the audio version's of JK's books because Jim Dale is the best reader. Therefore I have not yet "read" the latest. I'm on the library waiting list... and I'm finally number 24. Woo hoo, only weeks and weeks left.
Have you noticed Jim Dale does the voice-overs on commercials for Pushing Daisies. :) Just confirmed on his website. http://www.jim-dale.com/
Okay, not so short after all.
Todd: Hmm... seems like we've had this conversation before... :)
ReplyDeletePerhaps my idea of "literary purity" is related to my addiction to the print world. Eventually, most of us bookaholics are going to have to realize that printed words aren't necessary for stories to exist, but I still am in love with the printed words themselves (as well as the stories). So perhaps that's the difference, for me, between "Silmarillion" and JK's interviews. If it's so important, *write* it... if not, leave us alone so *we* can ponder that part.
As for the morality of HP (a point that has haunted me through all the books, thanks to that conversation we had years ago), I'm afraid I have to agree with you. In fact, I'm wrestling with this concept more than ever now that I'm reading Philip Pullman's "The Golden Compass," which is a magnificent story - but, it's no secret, deals with very anti-religious themes. My question is, if I'm able to separate the author's themes from reality, can I still enjoy the books (untainted)? I'm not so sure.
Joyce: Sorry! I don't think I let off any spoilers - I mean, you must really have your fingers in your ears if you haven't heard about JKR's latest revelation... :)
And yes! I might even say that I am religiously watching "Pushing Daisies" just to hear Dale's voice! (But that would be a lie - I'm also watching it because I find it hilarious and wonderful... in a very odd way.)
I just deleted the 7th book from my iPod the other day... wish I'd known you needed it! (speaking of morality...)